Tuesday, December 23, 2008

:: Dream within a dream::

i have a research project to complete.
and today i went into haematology class knowing zilch about leukaemia.and went out just as blurry.oh and today, my groupmates and i spent about 3 hours trying to put in some drug names and their mechanism as well as the adverse and therapeutic effects into the lyrics of Pink's "So What".now the song is playing and playing in my head.It's so annoying!
so yea, you get the picture.
aside from school stuff, i have not gotten the chance to catch up with my readings. The last real book i read was John Connolly's The book of lost things. and that was a few months ago. Is a great book btw.

So, since i don't really have time to read novels, i now resort to poetry. I'm not much of a poem person though. It has always been hard for me to grasp the meaning of most poems. But once in a while, when i do get to grasp the meaning, or even catch a glimpse of what the poem is all about, it just reminds me of why i even bother to try and read them in the first place.

For this piece here, it took me three days to understand what it's about.usually i'd just give up and forget i ever read it.
But i'm glad i didn't. Because when i finally get it(parts of it anyway)., i just find it heartwrenchingly beautiful.


This is A Dream Within A Dream by Edgar Allan Poe.

A Dream
Within A Dream
by Edgar Allan Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow—
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep— while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

-The End-


2 comments:

hana jahudi said...

chop, is there a hidden meaning? or r u interpreting it as it is? coz if it's just the surface... hmmmm buddy, start reading more mills n boons! ahhahahahahah

Anonymous said...

hahaha!hana gile~
i'm interpreting it the way i see it lah.
but if you want- mills and boons' way also can~~

oh! i googled up milss and boons fact for you!! hear hear::

Over the past 50 years the characters have had phenomenal luck in love. There have been 10,325 weddings (latest statistics show there were 244,710 non-fictional marriages in England and Wales in 2005), a lip-smacking 29,500 kisses (real-life statistics unavailable) and 35,250 hugs (a paucity considering the number of marriages).



:D:D